Treatment for atherosclerosis includes:
- Lifestyle changes
- Special procedures and surgery
- Eat a cholesterol-lowering diet.
- Exercise, which can produce nitric oxide (NO) to prevent atherosclerosis
- Cholesterol-lowering medicines.
- Anticoagulants to prevent clots.
- Antiplatelet medicines (such as aspirin) to stop platelets from clumping together.
Special Procedures and Surgery
This procedure is used to open blocked or narrowed coronary arteries. It
can improve blood flow to the heart, relieve chest pain, and possibly
prevent a heart attack.
artery bypass surgery. This surgery uses arteries or veins from other
areas in the body to bypass the diseased coronary arteries.
artery surgery. This surgery removes plaque buildup from the carotid
artery in the neck. This opens the artery and improves blood flow to the
- Bypass surgery of the leg arteries. This surgery uses a healthy blood
vessel to bypass the narrowed or blocked blood vessels. The healthy blood
vessel redirects blood around the blocked artery, improving blood flow to